National Science Olympiads co-ordinates the South African Olympiads in:
1. Natural Sciences (Grades 4 to 9)
2. Life Sciences (Grades 10 and 11)
3. Physical Sciences (Grades 10 and 11)
Over the last six years, our most successful Under 16s have participated in the International Junior Science Olympiads (IJSO):
3.1 South Korea in 2008 - Sereshan Pillay (Crawford College - North Coast) won a bronze medal
3.2 Azerbaijan (Baku) in 2009 - Suhail Dada (Maritzburg College) won a bronze medal
3.3 Nigeria (Abuja) in 2010 - James Young (Westville Boys) and Imraan Khan (Crawford College North Coast) won bronze medals.
3.4 South Africa (Durban) in 2011 - five students won bronze medals.
2011 has been our most successful year yet. We also achieved 19th place overall out of 40 countries. This is a major improvement in our International rankig in the Science Olympiads. We are proud that Imraan Khan (Crawford College -North Coast) and FOUR Star College (Westville - KZN) students Divyan Moodley, Serayen Govender, Muhammed Suleman and Thiolan Naidoo have excelled at the International event. Mohamad Imraan Khan has excelled over the last two years and was unlucky not to get a silver medal this time round.
In 2012, we participated in 3 International Events:
1. July 2012 - in Estonia as particiapants (5 students + 2 Teachers) in the International Physics Olympiad.
2. July 2012 - in Singapore as participants (4 students + 2 teachers) in the International Biology Olympiad.
3. December 2012 - in Iran as participants (6 students + 3 teachers) in the 9th International Junior Science Olympiad. Shivanan Pillay won a bronze medal at this event.
In 2013, we also participated in three events as shown below:
IPHO in Copenhagen (Denmark), IBO in Bern (Switzerland) and IJSO in Pune (India).
Daverin Nadesan won a Bronze medal for his outstanding results in India.
In 2014, we have participated in the IPHO in (Astana) Kazakhstan and IBO in Bali (Indonesia).
Congratulations to these students, their teachers and parents for theseoutstanding achievements.
In December 2014, we will travel with a Junior team to the International Junior Science Olympiad in Mendoza (Argentina) for the 11th IJSO event. We will attend with 6 students (u16) and 3 leaders.
Please watch this space for more announcements.